THE STRONG CHALLENGE
WEEK 4: REST
Your STRONG Challenge continues with finding ways to REST! Chillaxing, naps, a good night’s sleep…REST. It’s something we all need desperately to thrive but ignore its mystical powers. Why does REST always seem to get put on the backburner of our 1000 MPH-paced lives. We all fall victim to not falling asleep at a regular time, ignoring quiet time with prayer and/or meditation or not designating time to rest. This week, we reclaim our health with the power naps, sleeping in, quieting our minds…this week, we REST!
ALLOW YOURSELF TO REST. PUT TIME OFF OR TIME OUT AT THE TOP OF YOUR TO DO LIST.
Week 4: STRONG ACTIVITIES
Suggestions for REST Week
Below are some ideas to help us rest this week
ON YOUR OWN
- Connect to Nature – Head to Camp Hazen Sunday, November 15 from 1-4pm. Activities include: Tennis, Volleyball, Soccer, Basketball, 4-Square, Gaga, Bouldering, and Hiking!
- Meditate – Unplug for 10 minutes minimum. Do everything you can to lay still, rest your mind and monitor your breathing.
- Take a day, and DO NOTHING. Rest, chillax, have 5 naps. Kid screen time is totally acceptable while you regroup your life for another week.
- Unplug tech for 20 minutes and sit outside. Take in your surroundings. Journal your experience!
WITH A LITTLE HELP
Try any of these 3 apps for guided meditation, stress relief and rest
- Calm: Find Your Calm. Sleep more. Stress less. Live better.
- Shine: Daily self-care,Lifelong healing. Make a habit out of caring for your mental and emotional health
- Headspace: Cultivate a habit of meditating. Try a free subscription to Headspace and learn how to meditate, or find new journeys.
For more local strong activities, visit your YMCA’s website, search “STRONG Challenge.”
Below are some ideas to help you rest.
- Soak in a warm bath or hot tub
- Try yoga at home or in a class setting
- Drink some hot tea while doing nothing else
- Read a book
- Go on a quiet bike ride
- Work on a favorite DIY
Practice Belly Breathing Exercise Every Day this week.
Belly breathing is easy to do and very relaxing. Try this basic exercise anytime you need to relax or relieve stress.
- Sit or lie flat in a comfortable position.
- Put one hand on your belly just below your ribs and the other hand on your chest.
- Take a deep breath in through your nose, and let your belly push your hand out. Your chest should not move.
- Breathe out through pursed lips as if you were whistling. Feel the hand on your belly go in, and use it to push all the air out.
- Do this breathing 3 to 10 times. Take your time with each breath.
- Notice how you feel at the end of the exercise.
There has never been a better week in the challenge to connect with your accountabilibuddy! Call them, ask how they are doing. Offer some encouragement and STRONG cheerleader spirit! AND, join the Facebook Community Group (link here) to share your moments of connection with your new friends! When we connect, we are STRONG.