Lifeguard Certification Courses
Train to Save Lives!
Lifeguarding Certification Course
During the American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification class, you will learn the following skills: first aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, use of the AED, and how to respond in the event of an emergency on or off the pool deck. All classes are taught by certified American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructors.
This course is a blended learning course that includes both at-home online coursework and in-person skills portions. Most learners complete the online portion in approximately 9 hours. The instructor-led classroom skill sessions are a twenty-hour course, which includes all in-water skills, CPR for the Professional, and First-aid.
Courses are available for anyone over age 15 and certification is valid for 2 years.
Lifeguarding Course Prerequisites
- Complete the online blended learning course prior to the first day of in-person learning. A link will be emailed to participants no later than 1 week prior to the first day of class.
- Successfully past the prerequisite swim test:
- Swim 300 yards continuously. Candidates may swim front crawl or breaststroke or a combination of both. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water swim 20 yards (no goggles)
- Surface dive, feet first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object.
- Exit the water without using the stairs or a ladder.
Lifeguarding Recertification Course
During the American Red Cross Lifeguard Recertification Class, you will review the following skills: first aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, use of the AED, and how to respond in the event of an emergency on or off the pool deck. All classes are taught by certified American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructors.
Those registering for the recertification course must have a current American Red Cross Lifeguarding certification or one that is no more than 30 days expired.
Fall 2023 dates TBD